Today I’m answering the surprising question, Is A Banana A Berry? I Reveal THE TRUTH in this article…
There are so many untrue rumours floating around about bananas, like they contain too much sugar, like they spike your blood sugar levels, like you shouldn’t eat more than 6 bananas a day or you’ll die!
Crazy stuff like this that just isn’t true, and I address all that stuff in my post 10 EXTRAORDINARY Banana Nutrition Facts.
And there are also other statements like, a banana is a herb.
But today I’m answering the question, is a banana a berry. What do you think?
What is a berry?
So let’s start by defining what a berry is first of all.
Usually we think of a berry as a small fruit. But the official definition of a berry is a fleshy fruit produced from a single ovary.
If we use this definition, oranges, blueberries and even tomatoes are technically a berry.
There are three ways of defining a berry:
- A berry must have 3 distinct fleshy layers, the outer skin, the fleshy middle and the inner part which holds the seeds.
- Also to be classed as a berry, the fruit must have two or more seeds. So a cherry only has one seed and therefore isn’t a berry.
- Berries must also develop from one flower that has one ovary
Using this definition, blueberries, cranberries, peppers, eggplants (aubergines), kiwis and even watermelon come from a flower with one ovary so they are also berries.
But the strawberry and the raspberry have flowers with more than one ovary, so they are technically not a berry.
And believe it or not, it turns out the rumours are true, that yes indeed a banana IS actually a berry.
The banana seeds are so tiny that most people don’t even know that they’re there.
So it turns out that a banana is a berry and a strawberry isn’t.
So let’s do a quick recap of which category fruits officially fall into:
- Eggplant (aubergine)
- Stone fruit
I hope you enjoyed this article where I answered the question ‘Is A Banana A Berry?’
I’ll link to more related posts and video playlists in the resources below.
1) Magical Tools
3) Free Magical Fruit Recipe Book
5) Related Resources You Might Like
I’ve compiled a list of helpful resources that will help you take things to the next level:
- Fruit Tutorials
- Fruit Recipes
- How To Eat A Banana
- How To Ripen Bananas (FAST & EASY) Try It Today
- How To Keep Bananas From Turning Brown (10 GENIUS HACKS)
- MAGICAL Banana Slicer Trick (Unbelievable)
- 1 Minute Salted Caramel Sauce Recipe (Blender, Raw, Vegan, No Refined Sugar)
- 17 Banana Facts That’ll BLOW YOUR MIND
- 10 EXTRAORDINARY Banana Nutrition Facts
6) Follow Magical Life Of Fruit Social Media Channels:
I share different content on each platform and I can’t wait to connect with you over there.
- Please subscribe to Magical Life Of Fruit YouTube Channel by clicking here
- Read more on the blog
- Follow @Magical Life Of Fruit on Instagram
- Follow Magical Life Of Fruit on Pinterest
- Follow Magical Life Of Fruit on Facebook
If you enjoyed this article, Is A Banana A Berry? Please let me know your thoughts in the comments.