This delicious smoky vegan sausage casserole comes together very quickly in one pan using everyday ingredients. This recipe is extremely filling and keeps you going until your next meal.
This recipe is a perfect warming, hearty recipe that satisfies your tastebuds, helps you lose weight, and fills you up so much that you’ll not be needing to snack.
I make this recipe on rotation as it’s so easy, and tastes so good.
If you’d like to see how easy it is to throw all this together, check out my video where I walk you through the recipe step by step. Click here to subscribe to my Youtube channel.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This recipe and all recipes on my website are suitable for the special diets, vegan, plant based, gluten free, dairy free, egg free, free from refined sugar, and vegetarian
- This recipe contains 433 calories per serving
- This recipe contains 26g protein per serving
- This recipe contains 232.8mg of Vitamin C per serving
- This recipe contains 13.7g of fiber per serving.
- This recipe is made from a combination of vegan protein, whole food sources of carbohydrates, vegetables, essential fats, and ingredients that make the dish extremely tasty.
- This recipe takes 5 minutes of active preparation time and 15 minutes of cooking time. You can use the cooking time to get on with other things.
- This recipe is made extra tasty by the addition of my homemade vegetable stock powder, BBQ seasoning and Italian seasoning.
- I have simplified this recipe by limiting the number of ingredients and using everyday ingredients such as onions, garlic, peppers and tomatoes.
How This Recipe Fits In The Plant Plate System
Each of the recipes I create fits into my Plant Plate System. This system incorporates 5 food groups into every meal.
The 5 food groups are 1) Plant Protein, 2), Leaves, Fruit, And Veg, 3) Aesthetic Additions, 4) Nutrient Packed Carbohydrates, and 5) Taste
This recipe is a complete meal because it contains all 5 components of my Plant Plate and contains around 400 calories per meal.
The diagram below helps you see the 5 different components of a Plant-Based Plate.
- Vegan sausages
- Butter beans or lima beans
Leaves, Fruit & Veg
- Red peppers
- Yellow peppers
- Chopped tomatoes
- Green/salad onion chopped
Nutrient Packed Carbohydrates
- Olive oil
- Vegetable stock powder
- BBQ seasoning
- Italian seasoning
- Sea salt
- Tomato paste or tomato puree
- Liquid smoke (Optional)
Here is the main kitchen equipment I have used to create this recipe.
I highly suggest you use a non-stick pan for the vegetable and sauce part of this recipe. In a non-stick pan, this recipe cooks like a dream, with minimal stirring needed.
You can get the large pan that I use by clicking here. Please note, I bought the largest size.
You can get the 10-piece cookware set that I have by clicking here. Please note, this set contains a smaller version of the large deep pan that I bought separately.
How To Make This Recipe
- Cook the onions and garlic in a pan and then add the vegan sausages.
- Add the peppers, seasonings and the other ingredients and stir.
- Let simmer and serve the casserole with your chosen side dish.
- Olive oil: Use any oil you choose. Or omit the oil completely and just saute the vegetables in a little water.
- Onions: You can omit the onions or replace them with a vegetable of your choice.
- Peppers: You can omit the peppers or replace them with a vegetable of your choice.
- Garlic: You can omit the garlic or replace it with 1 teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Vegan sausages: If you’re on a gluten-free diet, make sure you buy gluten-free sausages. You can make homemade vegan sausages for this recipe if you like, but you need to add them at the end so they stay intact.
- Vegetable stock powder: You can replace it with a different stock powder or stock cube of your choice.
- Italian seasoning: You can replace it with any dried herbs of your choice.
- BBQ seasoning: You can replace it with paprika if you don’t want to make my seasoning blend
- Liquid Smoke: You can either omit the liquid smoke completely or replace it with 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika.
- Sea salt: You can replace it with any salt of your choice or 1 tablespoon of tamari.
- White Beans: Replace the white beans with any beans of your choice, chickpeas, or cooked lentils from a can.
- Chopped tomatoes: You can substitute chopped tomatoes with fresh tomatoes that you have blended, or passata.
Serve this recipe with one serving of any of the following side dishes per person:
- Mashed potatoes
- Boiled baby potatoes in skins
- Boiled large white potatoes without skins
- White potato fries
- Sweet potato fries
- Baked white potato
- Baked sweet potato
- White rice
How To Reduce The Calories
If you’d like to reduce the calories of this recipe even further, I suggest removing the white beans and/or the olive oil. You can saute the vegetables in a little water instead of oil.
How To Increase The Calories
If you would like to increase the calories for anybody who is going to be eating a serving of this recipe, I suggest you serve them a bigger portion of a side dish and cook them an extra sausage.
Vegan sausage casserole keeps for up to 4 days in the fridge in an air-tight container. It also freezes well for up to 3 months. Defrost it before using it. Reheat it by warming it up gently in a pan.
More Easy Vegan Dinner Recipes
If you’re looking for easy, no-fail vegan dinners, check out some of my other recipes:
- Quick Red Lentil Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese
- Creamy Vegan Red Lentil Dahl Recipe
- Easy No Cook Marinara Sauce For Pizza And Pasta
7 Day Meal Plan
🥬️🥭️ If you want to discover all of the benefits of eating a plant-based, gluten-free diet, grab a copy of my 7-day meal plan by Green Thickies.
My 7-day detox has been doctor and nutritionist approved and featured on a major national TV channel.
Thousands of people have had incredible results with this meal plan.
🥗 Free Smoothies (Drink And Shrink) Bundle
For A Limited Time, Grab Your FREE 260+ Page Smoothies (Drink And Shrink) Bundle From Green Thickies.
🎩 5 Magical Fruit Recipes Book
One Pot Smoky Vegan Sausage Casserole
- 1 Teaspoon Olive Oil
- 1 Onion
- 4 Teaspoons (4 Cloves) Minced Garlic
- 4 Vegan Sausages
- 2 Red Peppers
- 2 Yellow Peppers
- 2 Teaspoons Of My Homemade Vegetable Stock Powder Or 2 Teaspoons Of Bouillon Powder Or 1 Stock Cube
- 1 Tablespoon Of My Homemade BBQ Seasoning Or ½ Teaspoon Smoked Paprika, ½ Teaspoon Chipotle Chili Powder, 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder, And 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Of My Homemade Italian Seasoning Or 1 Teaspoon Of Basil, 1 Teaspoon Of Oregano, And 1 Teaspoon Parsley.
- 2 Teaspoons Sea Salt
- 2 15 Oz (400g) Cans Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste (Tomato Puree)
- 1 Teaspoon Liquid Smoke (Optional)
- 1 Can Butter Beans (Lima Beans) Drained And Rinsed
- 1 Green Onion (Salad Onion) Chopped
- Add the oil to a non-stick pan and turn the heat to medium.
- Chop the onion and add that to the pan.
- Add the garlic to the pan along with the sausages. Brown the sausages on both sides, while stirring the onion and garlic.
- Add the red and yellow peppers to the pan and stir.
- Add the stock, BBQ, Italian seasoning, and salt to the pan and stir.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, liquid smoke, and butter beans to the pan and stir.
- Leave to simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Prepare your side dish.
- Serve up your casserole in bowls and add your chosen side dish on the side.
Now it’s your turn to make magic with food.