This delicious vegan, gluten-free black bean burger is so quick to make. No chopping or pre-cooking of ingredients is required. As this recipe uses everyday storecupboard ingredients, you can make this recipe whenever you get burger cravings.
I have tried so many vegan burger recipes and most of them are too complicated. Most recipes require you to spend half an hour cooking vegetables before adding them to the burger.
I wanted a quick burger recipe that I could whip up in minutes to feed my kids something healthy, or when a burger craving arose. At the weekend I didn’t want to be slaving away in the kitchen for hours.
This burger recipe is so fast and requires no pre-cooking of ingredients and no chopping which is a massive time saver.
Just throw everything in your food processor and blend it up in seconds. Then shape it into a burger and cook it.
You have three different options when it comes to cooking. The fastest way is on the stove, the easiest way is in the air fryer, and the best method for set-and-forget-it cooking is using the oven.
- Video Demonstration
- Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- The Structure Of A Plant Based Plate
- Recommended Equipment
- How To Make This Recipe
- Ways To Use This Recipe
- Ingredient Substitutions
- Side Dishes
- More Tasty Plant Protein Recipes
- 🥬️🥭️ 7 Day Meal Plan
- FREE Gifts
- 10 Minute Plant Based Black Bean Burger (Gluten Free)
If you’d like to see how easy it is to throw all this together, check out my video where I walk you through the recipe step by step.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This recipe, and all of the recipes on my website are vegan and plant-based.
- This recipe and all of the recipes on my website are gluten-free.
- This recipe contains 159 calories per serving.
- This recipe contains 8g protein per serving.
- This recipe contains 2 mg of iron per serving.
- This recipe contains 10g of fiber per serving.
- This recipe takes 5 minutes of active preparation time and 4 minutes of cooking time. You can use the cooking time to prepare your burger fillings.
- This recipe is made extra tasty by the addition of my homemade burger seasoning.
- I have simplified this recipe by limiting the number of ingredients and using everyday ingredients such as black beans, onions, and oats with substitutions for all ingredients.
The Structure Of A Plant Based Plate
Each of the recipes I create fits into my Plant Plate System. This system incorporates 5 food groups into every meal.
The 5 food groups are 1) Plant Protein, 2), Leaves, Fruit, And Veg, 3) Aesthetic Additions, 4) Nutrient Packed Carbohydrates, and 5) Taste
This recipe adds plant protein to any dish. It falls under the “vegan protein” category on the Plant Based Plate and is not a complete meal.
The diagram below helps you visually see how this element features on a Plant-Based Plate.
Here are the main kitchen equipment tools I have used to create this recipe.
I highly suggest you use a non-stick pan for the vegetable and sauce part of this recipe. In a non-stick pan, this recipe cooks like a dream, with minimal stirring needed.
You can get the large pan that I use by clicking here. Please note, I bought the largest size.
You can get the 10-piece cookware set that I have by clicking here. Please note, this set contains a smaller version of the large deep pan that I bought separately.
I used my food processor for this recipe. I love this food processor because it has some handy attachments like a grater, and the ability to slice vegetables very quickly. It also has a smaller compartment for making smaller batches of food.
My air fryer has been one of the best kitchen gadgets I ever invested in. And I’m absolutely obsessed with it. With 2 fussy kids who don’t eat the same food as me or each other, my air fryer gets used every single day to make them fast, nutrient-packed food that they will eat.
I love cooking with an air fryer because food cooks much more quickly, is more crispy and tastier, and saves a fortune when it comes to my fuel bill.
Air Fryer Silicone Baking Dish
I often use this silicone baking dish when I’m baking with wet ingredients. It is 8 inches or 20 cm and square. It fits my Cosori Air Fryer. Make sure you measure the inside of your Air Fryer before purchasing an Air Fryer baking dish.
How To Make This Recipe
- Process all the ingredients in a food processor and form the mixture into burger patties.
- Fry the burgers in a pan, air fryer or oven.
Ways To Use This Recipe
Here are some of my favorite ways to use this recipe:
- Serve with a burger bun and fries
- Add this burger to a crunchwrap
- Serve this with potatoes and vegetables
- Slice this up and add this to a sandwich
- Chop this up and add it to a stir fry
- Serve with some baked beans on the side (my personal favorite)
- Canned Beans: Replace the beans with any beans of your choice, chickpeas, or cooked lentils from a can.
- Onions: You can replace the onions with the same amount of vegetable of your choice.
- Oats: Use rolled oats, oat flour or any other flour of your choice to bind the meatballs.
- Burger seasoning: You can replace it with any dried herbs or spice blend of your choice.
- Italian seasoning: You can replace it with any dried herbs of your choice.
- Sea salt: You can replace it with any salt of your choice or 1 tablespoon of tamari.
- Olive oil: Use any oil you choose. Or you can fry, air fry, and oven bake without any oil.
Serve this recipe with one serving of any of the following side dishes per person:
- Mashed potatoes
- Boiled baby potatoes in skins
- Boiled large white potatoes without skins
- White potato fries
- Sweet potato fries
- Baked white potato
- Baked sweet potato
- White rice
- Bread roll
For more side dish options, see my best vegan, gluten-free carbs side dish post.
Black bean burgers keep for up to 4 days in the fridge in an air-tight container. They also freeze well for up to 3 months. Defrost before using it. Reheat by warming them up gently in a pan, air fryer, or oven.
More Tasty Plant Protein Recipes
This recipe is part of my Plant Protein series.
If you’re looking for easy, plant protein recipes, check out some of my other recipes:
- 5 Minute Vegan Tortilla Pizza
- Homemade Vegan Crunchwrap Recipe
- Quick Vegan Meatballs And Spaghetti With Tomato Sauce
You can see all of my plant protein recipes here.
🥬️🥭️ 7 Day Meal Plan
If you want to discover all of the benefits of eating a plant-based, gluten-free diet, grab a copy of my 7-day meal plan by Green Thickies.
My 7-day detox has been doctor and nutritionist approved and featured on a major national TV channel.
Thousands of people have had incredible results with this meal plan.
🥗 Free Smoothies (Drink And Shrink) Bundle
For A Limited Time, Grab Your FREE 260+ Page Smoothies (Drink And Shrink) Bundle From Green Thickies.
🎩 5 Magical Fruit Recipes Book
If you're looking for some easy, raw, fruit-based, complete meal recipes, grab my free recipe book now.
10 Minute Plant Based Black Bean Burger (Gluten Free)
- 1 Can Of Black Beans
- ½ Cup (1 Small Onion) Diced Onions
- 2 Tablespoons Rolled Oats, Oat Flour, Or Other Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Of My Homemade Burger Seasoning Or ½ Teaspoon Paprika, ½ Teaspoon Garlic Powder, ½ Teaspoon Onion Powder, And A Pinch Of Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Of My Homemade Italian Seasoning Or ½ Teaspoon Of Basil, ½ Teaspoon Of Oregano, And ½ Teaspoon Parsley
- ½ Teaspoon Salt (Or 1 Tablespoon Tamari)
- Add the canned black beans, onion, oats, burger seasoning, Italian seasoning, and salt to a food processor. Process until you can form a ball that sticks together. Don’t over-process. Scrape down the sides and stir.
- Divide the mixture into 4. Roll each batch into a ball, then push down to flatten it into a burger shape.
- Cook your burgers using one of the following options:
- You can fry them on a medium heat, in a non-stick pan with or without oil, turning them until they are golden on all sides. I like to use an oil spray for fewer calories.
- Spray a little oil spray on the bottom of your air fryer. Place the burgers in the air fryer basket and spray them with a little oil spray. Cook at 200C/ 400F for 5-10 minutes. Turn them over after 5 minutes. Check on them frequently.
- Add your burgers to a non-stick baking tray, spray them with oil, and bake them at 200C/ 400F for 15-20 minutes until they are golden.
Now it’s your turn to make magic with food.