Looking for a delicious yet lighter hummus recipe? Try this no-oil, no-tahini hummus recipe that's only 48 calories per serving. Whip it up very quickly with pantry staples!
I love traditional hummus as much as the next person, but standard hummus does contain quite a lot of fat in the form of olive oil and tahini, and all of those calories from fat add up quickly.
I wanted to create a hummus recipe that was half the calories of a traditional hummus and came in at under 50 calories per serving. I have achieved it with this recipe without sacrificing much of the typical flavor of hummus that we all know and love.
Despite the lack of oil and tahini in this recipe, this no-oil no tahini hummus still tastes delicious. Those of us who are counting calories can still eat a good-sized portion of hummus, and those not watching how much they eat can eat twice as much of this hummus.
I love this recipe because it’s so speedy. All you do is throw everything in your food processor and blend for about 1 minute. No soaking or cooking is required. It is a very simple recipe that you can whip up at a moment’s notice from pantry staples.
And this recipe only contains 48.8 calories per serving. This is great because you don’t end up using a lot of your calorie allowance on dips.
I enjoy this no tahini hummus with my Easy Mediterranean Yellow Rice, served with Russian Pickled Tomatoes and my Creamy Chickpea And Lentil Curry. I also love to add a simple salad dressed with my Creamy Vegan Italian Dressing Recipe to complete the meal.
Sometimes I pair this with my various falafel recipes like my Middle East Falafels and Falafel Hot Sauce, Falafel Gyro, Falafel over rice recipe, or my Falafel Platter. To get more falafel recipes check out my post on the Best Falafel Side Dishes.
- Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Ingredient Substitutions
- The Structure Of A Plant Based Plate
- Recommended Equipment
- How To Make This Recipe
- How To Serve
- Frequently Asked Questions
- How To Store Leftovers
- Ways To Use This Recipe
- Vegan Carbohydrate Side Dishes
- Vegan Vegetable Side Dishes
- Plant-Based Protein Side Dishes
- Vegan Meat Side Dishes
- More Tasty Vegan Dip Recipes
- 🥬️🥭️ 7 Day Meal Plan
- FREE Gifts
- No Oil No Tahini Hummus Recipe (48 Calories Per Serving)
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This recipe contains 48.8 calories per serving.
- This recipe contains 2.2g of protein per serving.
- This easy recipe takes 2 minutes of active preparation time and no cooking is needed.
- This recipe is made extra tasty by the addition of onion powder and garlic.
- I have simplified this recipe by limiting the number of ingredients and using everyday, simple ingredients such as maple syrup and lemon juice.
- This recipe and all recipes on my website are vegan, plant-based, gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, lactose-free, free from refined sugar, vegetarian, and are based on whole foods.
- All of my recipes follow my own diet plan called the Plant Plate 400. In addition, my recipes also adhere to the following diets, the Mediterranean diet, the 1200 Calories a Day diet, Clean eating, the Macrobiotic diet, the Alkaline diet, the Ornish diet, the Daniel Fast, and the Starch Solution diet.
- Chickpeas: Use any type of canned beans but the hummus will be more of a bean dip than a hummus.
- Sea salt: You can replace it with any salt of your choice or 1 tablespoon of tamari.
- Maple syrup: You can omit the syrup or replace it with any sweetener of your choice.
- Lemon juice: Replace this with lime juice or remove it completely.
- Onion powder: You replace this with finely chopped onions or omit it completely.
- Garlic: You replace this with finely chopped garlic or omit it completely.
The Structure Of A Plant Based Plate
Each of the recipes I create fits into my Plant Plate System. This system incorporates 5 food groups into every meal.
The 5 food groups are 1) Plant Protein, 2), Leaves, Fruit, And Veg, 3) Aesthetic Additions, 4) Nutrient Packed Carbohydrates, and 5) Taste
This recipe adds flavor to any dish. It falls under the “Taste” category on the Plant Based Plate and is not a complete meal.
The diagram below helps you visually see how this element features on a Plant-Based Plate.
Here’s how this recipe is structured according to the Plant Plate System.
Adding each ingredient to the following categories helps you to easily see how to make substitutions. It also lets you know the exact reason why the ingredient is in the recipe.
Leaves, Fruit & Veg
Nutrient Packed Carbohydrates
- Lemon juice
- Maple syrup
- Sea salt
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
Here are the main kitchen equipment tools I have used to create this recipe.
I used my food processor for this recipe. I love this food processor because it has some handy attachments like a grater, and the ability to slice vegetables very quickly. It also has a smaller compartment for making smaller batches of food.
How To Make This Recipe
Here is a brief summary of the steps needed to make the recipe. See the recipe card at the bottom of this post for the full detailed instructions.
- Process all of the ingredients together and serve.
How To Serve
Serve this as a dip for roast vegetables or serve it in a bowl on the side.
Frequently Asked Questions
Traditionally olive oil is drizzled on top of the hummus. Olive oil will give the hummus a smoother texture but it will make the hummus heavier. So you can omit the oil when you make your hummus.
How To Store Leftovers
This recipe keeps for up to 4 days in the fridge in an airtight container. It also freezes well for up to 3 months. Defrost it before using it.
Ways To Use This Recipe
Here are some of my favorite ways to use this recipe:
- 2 Minute Falafel Hot Sauce Recipe
- Creamy Vegan Italian Dressing Recipe (Oil Free)
- Russian Pickled Tomatoes Recipe (EASY)
- Easy Mediterranean Yellow Rice (Vegan)
- Middle East Falafel Recipe (Vegan, Gluten Free)
- Falafel Gyro Recipe (Vegan, Gluten Free)
- Creamy Chickpea And Lentil Curry Recipe
- Falafel Over Rice Recipe (Vegan Buddha Bowl)
- Falafel Platter Recipe (Vegan Mezze Plate)
- The BEST Falafel Side Dishes
Vegan Carbohydrate Side Dishes
Serve this recipe with any of the following carb side dishes which are all around 100 calories per serving:
- Crispy Homemade Baked French Fries
- Spicy Sweet Potato Fries
- Most Crispy Vegan Jacket Potato
- Easy Whole Baked Sweet Potato
- Gluten Free Dough Balls
- Gluten Free Flatbreads
- Gluten Free Naan Breads
- Gluten Free Pita Bread
For more options, see all of my best vegan, gluten-free carbs side dishes.
Vegan Vegetable Side Dishes
Here are some vegetable side dishes that go very nicely with this recipe which are all under 100 calories per serving.
For more options, see all of my best gluten-free vegan vegetable side dishes.
Plant-Based Protein Side Dishes
For more options, see all of my best gluten-free vegan protein recipes.
Vegan Meat Side Dishes
Here are some vegan meat side dishes that go very nicely with this recipe, and are great substitutes for regular meat. These are all under 150 calories per serving.
- Vegan Gluten Free Black Bean Meatballs
- 10 Minute Plant Based Black Bean Burger
- Easy Vegan Meatloaf
- Smoky Tempeh Bacon
- Spicy Vegan Cauliflower Buffalo Wings
- Vegan Jackfruit Shredded Chicken
- Easy Baked Mushroom Bacon
For more options, see all of my best gluten-free vegan meat recipes.
More Tasty Vegan Dip Recipes
If you’re looking for some more vegan dips or vegan sauces that go very nicely with this recipe, are very quick to make, and are under 50 calories per serving, check out some of my other recipes:
- No Cook Marinara Sauce (this makes a great salsa or tomato sauce dip)
- Quick Gluten Free Vegan Gravy Recipe
- Vegan Ranch Dip Recipe
- Creamy Edamame Guacamole
- Easy Vegan Tzatziki Sauce
- Creamy Hummus Recipe (No Garlic)
- Creamy Vegan Poppy Seed Dressing
- 2 Minute Hot Sauce Recipe
- Creamy Vegan Italian Dressing Recipe
For more options, see all of my best gluten-free vegan dip recipes.
🥬️🥭️ 7 Day Meal Plan
If you want to discover all of the benefits of eating a plant-based, gluten-free diet, grab a copy of my 7-day meal plan by Green Thickies.
My 7-day detox has been doctor and nutritionist approved and featured on a major national TV channel.
Thousands of people have had incredible results with this meal plan.
🥗 Free Smoothies (Drink And Shrink) Bundle
For A Limited Time, Grab Your FREE 260+ Page Smoothies (Drink And Shrink) Bundle From Green Thickies.
🎩 5 Magical Fruit Recipes Book
If you're looking for some easy, raw, fruit-based, complete meal recipes, grab my free recipe book now.
No Oil No Tahini Hummus Recipe (48 Calories Per Serving)
- 1 400g can of chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- ⅓ cup (78ml) of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder or granules
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder or 2 fresh minced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon of paprika (optional)
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth. This will take around 1 minute.
- Scrape down the sides if needed and blend again.
Now it’s your turn to make magic with food.